PDA

عرض كامل الموضوع : Watch & Share • Episode 6 : Becky Blanton: The year I was homeless

حزام الامان
31-05-2010, 04:14 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/rrk380.jpg

Title :
link to the Video :
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/becky_blanton_the_year_i_was_homeless.html
of the website
Link to the Archive
Here (http://vb.eqla3.com/showthread.php?t=603521)

Hello everyone
This is one of the videos that attracted me at Ted.com.
Becky Blanton was talented journalist who had to quit her job after her father's death. After that event she decided to become invisable and to live in a mini van with her pets and disappear to deal with many issues.
She relized three things after that experience: the socaiety is equall to living in permanent plase with a value, the negative perceptions of the people can impact us very quikly if we let it, and homelessness is an atitude and it's not a live style.
Her living in the van wasn't bad in the begining, but things went worse after that because the depression of her father's death. The summer came and made it imposible for a woman and pets to live in a van under this weather. She had to find another full time job to pay her bills. She had to use office buildengs and public restrooms whenever it's possible. She could't sleap at the night because of the weather and her whole life was miserable.
She stayed at the van because she couldn't afford to have an appartment so she decided to stay at the van. She started to give up after the weanter had came. Everthing went very badly very fast from being a talented writer to be a homeless in a minivan. She still had the same tallent, intelligence and values but there is something had changed somehow.
She went to a homeless health clinic. She looked homeless in her openion until homeless men including a universty professor told her that you are not a homeless and asked her why she was there.
She told the professor her story then he said " You have a job, you have hope. Homeless people don't have hope."
A friend of her had told her that Tem Russle ,a renowned journalist, was talking about her in national T.V. He was talking about the essay she wrote about her father.
She started laughing when thinking that tht journalist was talking about her writing on T.V while she was living in a van because she arrived to the point where she asked her self m i a writer or a homeless women. She went to bookstore to read the tem's book and read her essay. she started crying because she relized that she is a writer and deserve a better life.
She went back to her hometone and started writing. shortly after that, she started writing again, wining awards, had her own appartent, and she bacame no more homeless.
The socaiety still have people who live in their own cars eventhough they have jobs. Beky's suggestion is that whenever you find a homeless person, try to engage them and offer hem hope because people can be eveything if they have hope.

This story reminds me of two Saudies people who always plaiming their life, luck and the socaiey because they havn't obtaind the job the have dreamed of. They never cared about their hops and the did'nt even try to acheive ther dreams. When you have a hope, work hard to get better life. Many people couldn't be anything because some events that stopped them making themselves while they could go over it very easily. don't look at it as an excuse, but look at it as a challenge.

I have talkd with some of my freshmen student's about their hopes and dreams in the future. I asked them what they want to be after graduation. Many of them get into the school just because it's a life sicle for any person here in this country. I suggested them to set a target in their lives and Challenge themselves to accomplishe it. We have many people around us with no hope or a goal and that will make their lives very much harder.

Some questions came to my mind:

Becky Blanton didn't do the wright thing when she decided to become invisable from the socaiety, Why do you think she did that?

Do you agree with Becky Blanton in that all what homeless people need is a little hope?

Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting what you are working on? and how did you overcome it?

RainAroma
31-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi

Becky Blanton didn't do the wright thing when she decided to become invisable from the socaiety, Why do you think she did that?
Sometimes depression drives people to do illogical things which might be
against their beliefs, and believe me hoplessness is like a disease if you didn't stop it from the beginning it would spread all over your body and
paralyze you

Do you agree with Becky Blanton in that all what homeless people need is a little hope?
Sure, and what she said reminds me of an old saying
(اراد الفقراء ان يكونوا فقراء)
for some of them just doesn't want to work or even
think about it
and they rather chose to be beggers in the streets

Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting what you are working on? and how did you overcome it?
Yes i have, in one semester for a family issue, i was about to fail in one of the courses
cuz i didn't study well , and i missed MANY classes so my family had to bring me medical excuses though there was nothing wrong with me physically
:D
how did you overcome it?
Time is the best heeler, i tried to forget what happend
and i engaged myself in university activities to keep myself attached to it
BTW Opera once in her show had Robert downy jr a
Hollywood actor,, and she asked him several questions about
his feelings about his past experience in jail as a drug-addicted

: So, he paused for a while and then said

It's easy to embrace hopelessness when things seem insurmountable and yet it's actually a matter of time until all of the elements come together for things to be alright

Sorry i talked too much
:D
n thanx bro
for the interesting choice it was incredibly inspirational
bp039bp039

M I A R O S E
31-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Impressing ..
First let me answer your questions then get in the whole topic.

Some people give up soon after having a bad experience in their lives, she decided to drench herself in that pain!..
She thought it's a good way to hide from people because no one will understand what she has been through.
we all lose control, but we need someone to keep motivating us.

Sure, everyone on this earth has right to live happily. We just need to encourage them and give them hope!

Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting what you are working on? and how did you overcome it

Yes I have!
I overcome that by strength and faith:$

Back to topic..
you know, life is only a path which all of us have to pass, we don't need to burden ourselves with all this depression
she has all what she wants before her father's death, but she decided to kill herself by choosing that way of living!
There are real homeless who were born like that,
They didn't get in schools, they barely live in garbage..etc
They didn't choose that way to live! But she did.. out of depression!
but at last she realized she made a mistake..
we have to remain strong, because this what life is all about right?
we have to challenge ourselves to continue living

This story reminds me of two Saudies people who always plaiming their life, luck and the socaiey because they havn't obtaind the job the have dreamed of. They never cared about their hops and the did'nt even try to acheive ther dreams.

Well, there is quote by Marcus Aurelius " Your life is what your thoughts make it"
We always blame our destiny or society to get away from the fact that we couldn't achieve our goals! :s..
if you want a great life you have to keep your hope alive, never give up!
simple like that ..xD

I talked too much as well:$
thanks 7zam for sharing that with us
bp039

~ Exceptional ~
01-06-2010, 12:55 AM
That was a short clip with very important lesson. I do not know if you feel what she talked about or not? because if you live here in the States you will fully sympathize with those people

Becky Blanton didn't do the right thing when she decided to become invisible from the society, Why do you think she did that?

It's the negative sound inside of you that tells you " look you have a job, you get a good salary but still you suffer " and all of a sudden you decide to change major things in your life while the anger leading you to nowhere. Sometimes or always you need to face your depression with patience. Life is ups and downs.

yes. I strongly believe that successful people need hope all the time, how about homeless people?

No. and thank God for that :)

حزام الامان
01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
BTW Opera once in her show had Robert downy jr a
Hollywood actor,, and she asked him several questions about
his feelings about his past experience in jail as a drug-addicted

: So, he paused for a while and then said

It's easy to embrace hopelessness when things seem insurmountable and yet it's actually a matter of time until all of the elements come together for things to be alright

bp039bp039

Hey Rain .. how are you?

Well, what he've said is the whole truth. Whatever challenges you face in your life you must come with the moment where you get over that challenge or heel.
God never forget his slave's .. beside, human always have the ability to overcome all kinds of difficulties.

Thank you for the great post.

Some people give up soon after having a bad experience in their lives, she decided to drench herself in that pain!..
She thought it's a good way to hide from people because no one will understand what she has been through.
we all lose control, but we need someone to keep motivating us.

The problem is that almost all people know that hiding from the problem is not the ideal solution but we still doing this silly habit.
Agree with you that motivation could solve this issue especially if that motivation is mental because we don't find supporter very often.

we have to remain strong, because this what life is all about right?
we have to challenge ourselves to continue living

That's what it's all about .. as you said the life is a path that we have to pass .. No one's life is spread of flowers .. And no one want's a misrable life .. So we need to keep going making ourselves despite of all things that could stop us.

I talked too much as well:$
thanks 7zam for sharing that with us
bp039

Thanks for your valubale share sis.

That was a short clip with very important lesson. I do not know if you feel what she talked about or not? because if you live here in the States you will fully sympathize with those people

I have seen many of them when i was studying there .. They were not that bad people who are looking for victims to kill and robb .. There are people just like us who couldn't deal with their situations or didn't find the person who can guide them to overcome their poor lives.

It's the negative sound inside of you that tells you " look you have a job, you get a good salary but still you suffer " and all of a sudden you decide to change major things in your life while the anger leading you to nowhere. Sometimes or always you need to face your depression with patience. Life is ups and downs.

That sound need to be blocked somewhow .. We all need to remember and consider the advanteges of our lives .. That hopfully can help us in such a states.

I enjoyed your reply brother .. Wish you always the best.

Only Me
02-06-2010, 05:49 PM
IS it allowed to me to participate amongst you" brownies" :D.. I mean brown members

She still had the same tallent, intelligence and values but there is something had changed somehow.

RECENTLY I come to the idea that there is no psychological diseases in its real meaning ..it is only how we get clashed by hard or strange situations that we dont know how to deal with until get disorder in the way we think which leads to what is called psychological diseases so if we rethink about the whole process again in right way we can change the position we are in and what we led ourselves to .this is can be measured to every thing in this life
<< in a philosophical mood

when the person is overwhelmed by sadness ,he becomes blind and his decision becomes irrational, because his mind is absent and he is guided and controlled by his depression

Any person is the only one who is responsible in putting himself in any position in this life accourding to the way he thinks of himself and towards his life ..
it is your look towards things that is immediately reflected on your soul ..if it good you will have a very good spirit full of hope and love..if it is not you would be miserable ,hopeless and homeless

Continuous hope is what all people need to keep living in this life ,coz everybody's life is full of Obstacles . So he needs to have continuous hope to support him to exceed one obstacle after the other

Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting what you are working on? and how did you overcome it

yea..in my first year of college ..it was the biggest failure in my life ..I got c,and many f ..I didnt know how to deal with college and academic system..any way I was such a miserable and I can not forget that day in all of its details .. my father was there for me and no way to skip or cancel that year ..so I studied that year again and passed with lower grades ..two years later one of my friends said to me when I got( b+) in one of the subjects "it is not something to be surprised of cuz u r" dafoura" pb036 :D oO
that was a statement I will never forget cuz it gave me a very big push and confidence to continue and finish college years

Thanks 7zam for the wonderful presentation
bp039bp039

Riva
03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Hi

I think because she thought her grief was so big. May be she thought if she did so she wouldn't have that feeling again. I mean like she won't meet people who ask her about her dad so she won't remember and feel sad again, or maybe regret the time she hasn't spent with her father. I also think that she didn't have someone by her side to support her and tell her it wasn't the end of the world.

Yes, I do. Because we all have misfortunes in our lives. But people with hope get through it, people who don't have hope can't. So, all what they need is a little hope helps them keep moving.

?Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting
No,Thank Allah. because I believe that hope is what keeps us going in this life, so I keep it always in my mind.

I actually have the bright side of the story. My grandmother died when I was having final exams ! three days before they start. But I had hope enough that made me study even harder 'cuz she used to pray for me and push me to succeed and get the full marks. It was hard, and I'm not gonna lie about it, I was studying with my tears on the books, but I didn't give up and Thank Allah I passed the semester.

Thank you for the good , hopeful presentation bp039

حزام الامان
04-06-2010, 03:50 AM
IS it allowed to me to participate amongst you" brownies" :D.. I mean brown members

Ofcourse you are more than welcome pb030

RECENTLY I come to the idea that there is no psychological diseases in its real meaning ..it is only how we get clashed by hard or strange situations that we dont know how to deal with until get disorder in the way we think which leads to what is called psychological diseases so if we rethink about the whole process again in right way we can change the position we are in and what we led ourselves to .this is can be measured to every thing in this life
<< in a philosophical mood

:sm5:
That's right .. Even doctors and psychologists say that if you beleive in that you will be treated you got 80% of any drug effect

when the person is overwhelmed by sadness ,he becomes blind and his decision becomes irrational, because his mind is absent and he is guided and controlled by his depression

We always need others to lead us to the correct path .. The problem is we don't have those people very often around us
We shoud be taught how to deal with such situations without waiting for someone's help

Any person is the only one who is responsible in putting himself in any position in this life accourding to the way he thinks of himself and towards his life ..
it is your look towards things that is immediately reflected on your soul ..if it good you will have a very good spirit full of hope and love..if it is not you would be miserable ,hopeless and homeless

I agree .. We always need not to either underestimate or overestimate the problems we confront .. Look at he problem as it's and don't ever alowe it to reflect to your normal life

Continuous hope is what all people need to keep living in this life ,coz everybody's life is full of Obstacles . So he needs to have continuous hope to support him to exceed one obstacle after the other

Exactly .. I would call it HIGHLY STANDARIZED HOPE .. Whatever your life is you always need to higher your hope and work hard to reach it .. That definitly will make your life better and better

yea..in my first year of college ..it was the biggest failure in my life ..I got c,and many f ..I didnt know how to deal with college and academic system..any way I was such a miserable and I can not forget that day in all of its details .. my father was there for me and no way to skip or cancel that year ..so I studied that year again and passed with lower grades ..two years later one of my friends said to me when I got( b+) in one of the subjects "it is not something to be surprised of cuz u r" dafoura" pb036 :D oO
that was a statement I will never forget cuz it gave me a very big push and confidence to continue and finish college years

Thanks 7zam for the wonderful presentation

bp039bp039

Well done sis .. I'm cheering for you

And thanks for your great participation .. I really enjoy it .. Take care

حزام الامان
05-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Hi

Hi Kathrine, how are you?

No,Thank Allah. because I believe that hope is what keeps us going in this life, so I keep it always in my mind.

That is very good stratigy to keep moving forward.

I actually have the bright side of the story. My grandmother died when I was having final exams ! three days before they start. But I had hope enough that made me study even harder 'cuz she used to pray for me and push me to succeed and get the full marks. It was hard, and I'm not gonna lie about it, I was studying with my tears on the books, but I didn't give up and Thank Allah I passed the semester.

Thank you for the good , hopeful presentation bp039

We must always be aware that we will face some difficulties in life that could stop our journies.
That will help us in dealing with such situations and lead us to get over it with no impact on our vintures.
RIP to your grandmother

Thanks for your beautiful participation .. Wish you all the best

سندس7
05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
hi my brother

Becky Blanton didn't do the wright thing when she decided to become
invisable from the socaiety, Why do you think she did that?

i cant expect why she did that.maybe she loved her father so much and when he died ,she couldnt live without her father.i read in newspaper one saudi girl died when she heard her relative died .all we know Al Kansah arabic poetess.when her brother died ,she cried until to get blindness.after she became muslim ,when her 4 sons died in the war ,she was patient , she thanked the God and she hoped to gather with them in the bliss.in the islam ,the heart of the muslim must connect to the God and loves the God more than anyone

i agree with her if the hope is from the person not from the others.not all homeless find someone give them hope.i think that the goverment is responsible about those homeless .it must give them homes ,work and food

?Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting

no and i thank my God
nice topic

حزام الامان
06-06-2010, 01:58 AM

i agree with her if the hope is from the person not from the others.not all homeless find someone give them hope.i think that the goverment is responsible about those homeless .it must give them homes ,work and food

Hi sundous .. Welcome to the thread

Let me disagree with you in this point .. I believe this is very big misconception that many people have
I don't think governments have to pay for people who have nothing to give for their nations and socaieties .. In order to get paied you must show something that can benifit the country where you live
If governments take responsability on theis people and gave them places to live and money and all things the have dreamed of, they will remain homeless which very much means being worthless people .. If governments pay for this people it will be lik reinforcing them and, as a consequent, no one of them will even think of changing his\her life to have better life condittion.
These people do have abilities, skills, intellegence, and even the opportunity to be someone .. The just missed the correct path they should follow and if they find it again they will become no more homeless people .. They might need the person who can guide them to that path or the migt need little hpe as Becky said and i'm sure they will have better live .. they will be people just like us

Thank you for sharing your ideas sister

سندس7
06-06-2010, 03:50 PM
hi my brother
i meant the old people,it is difficult to them to work and they need care ,food,homes and safe life.once Ali Bin Abi Talib
saw old jewish man asking people money .Ali was angry and gave him money from money home to muslims and he said the jewish man paid the al jezyah in his youth and we gave up in his aging.
also the goverment must study the lives for the young people who homeless and why they become homeless? and give them jobs.maybe some of these people need health care.the president is responsible to God about all people who lives in his country speicially if the country is rich.the son of the Omar Bin Abdulaziz said to his father when he wanted to sleep how you sleep and there is hungry ,wronged and the God will ask you about these people

ودعـانيـــه
07-06-2010, 12:47 AM
What a very impressive and touching video ! :sm5: k
Nice choice hezam ! thank you

Concerning ur guestions : l

She did that because she was miserable and very depressed and couldn't see how she could overcome the situation . l

They do need HOPE yet they need to get working and do things to change the situation . Hope alone is not enough . l

Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting what you are working on? and how did you overcome it?[/QUOTE]
I had a very similar situation once. three years ago I had to deal with the death of a very intimate person in my family. I overcame the situation because we as muslims have FAITH .l

Thank you again I enjoyed watching and praticipating in this thread bp039 k

حزام الامان
07-06-2010, 05:04 PM
hi my brother
i meant the old people,it is difficult to them to work and they need care ,food,homes and safe life.once Ali Bin Abi Talib
saw old jewish man asking people money .Ali was angry and gave him money from money home to muslims and he said the jewish man paid the al jezyah in his youth and we gave up in his aging.
also the goverment must study the lives for the young people who homeless and why they become homeless? and give them jobs.maybe some of these people need health care.the president is responsible to God about all people who lives in his country speicially if the country is rich.the son of the Omar Bin Abdulaziz said to his father when he wanted to sleep how you sleep and there is hungry ,wronged and the God will ask you about these people

Welcome back

I now agree with you .. But remember one thing .. Even old people do have to give sis
What i want to say is every person in this country has and impact on the socaiety and it must be positive.
Some people with disabilities, no matter of their ages, who need help and the government as well as the nation need to help theis people. The kind of help is not to give them money and food. However, to offer them relevant opportunities to work and engage in the socaiety by let them feel their values.

What a very impressive and touching video ! :sm5: k
Nice choice hezam ! thank you

Welcome to your thread .. And thanks for the copmliment

They do need HOPE yet they need to get working and do things to change the situation . Hope alone is not enough . l

Exactly .. I beleive in the same thing .. Work hard to achieve your dreams and hopes .. Hopes alone are notenough

Thank you again I enjoyed watching and praticipating in this thread bp039 k

Thanks for you and for your great add to the thread

unknown121
07-06-2010, 06:04 PM
salam 3lecom.

I thinke She let the darkness inside her life and became sadder she's forgetting to be stronger for herself. Maybe she did that coz it is first time to face the world alone none there with her.

Yes, most time homeless people don't like to do anything. Just being miserable of their situation. Litter hopes give them better life.
Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting what you are working on? And how did you overcome it
No thank god, but I face it with my friends and try to give them litter push. In my opining the overcome better come inside you not someone push it will be wrong way

ummm it's my first time forgive me if there is any error
thankyou I like it alOT

حزام الامان
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
salam 3lecom.

I thinke She let the darkness inside her life and became sadder she's forgetting to be stronger for herself. Maybe she did that coz it is first time to face the world alone none there with her.

Yes, most time homeless people don't like to do anything. Just being miserable of their situation. Litter hopes give them better life.
Have you ever faced such an issue that made you stop working, studying, or quitting what you are working on? And how did you overcome it
No thank god, but I face it with my friends and try to give them litter push. In my opining the overcome better come inside you not someone push it will be wrong way

ummm it's my first time forgive me if there is any error
thankyou I like it alOT

وعليكم السلام

Hope always can overcome any disaster and helps us get over it faster
I agree with your last answer .. Internal hope and help has greater effect than help comes from another people

Thanks for posting my sister .. wish you to have beneficial moments here in the academy.